When buying a pre-owned vehicle, you understandably want to know it’s as safe as possible before driving it home. Launched in 1996, the Toyota Certified Used Vehicles (TCUV) program offers the next best thing to the purchase of a new car or truck. For 20 years Toyota has given drivers peace of mind with used vehicles that only a Toyota factory-backed certification program can offer.
How Does a Toyota Become Certified?
Not all cars and trucks meet the standards to become a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle. A TCUV must be no older than six years of age and have fewer than 85,000 miles on the odometer. Each Toyota dealer is also required to order a comprehensive CARFAX® Vehicle History Report™ (VHR) that shows no negative results.
A VHR discloses potential risks that could result in costly repairs or dangerous situations in the future, such as: major structural damage, previously declared a total loss or any title and odometer discrepancies. Any vehicle that doesn’t meet this threshold for quality is disqualified from the TCUV program. Those that qualify are moved on to the next step, a thorough inspection.
A 160-Point Inspection
Each certified used vehicle must meet or exceed an intensive 160-point Quality Assurance Inspection, which includes mechanical, detailing and appearance standards, to ensure they have that like-new feel. Every vehicular system is thoroughly tested by factory-trained technicians. The steering system, for example, goes through the following checks:
- Steering has normal feel in lock-to-lock turning
- Steering wheel centered in straight line driving
- Vehicle tracks and drives straight on level surface
- Tilt steering wheel adjustment works properly
- No excessive wind whistle or buzz
- No excessive tire vibration or steering wheel shimmy at any speed
- Interior free of significant squeaks or rattles
- Inspect steering rack, linkage, bushings, control arms and dust boots
After the inspection, technicians complete any necessary repairs and reconditioning before the vehicle is officially certified.
The Toyota Certified Used Vehicle Warranty
Every TCUV comes with the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle Warranty. This includes:
- 12-month/12,000-mile Comprehensive Warranty: Whichever comes first from the date of Toyota Certified Used Vehicle purchase.
- 7-year/100,000-mile Limited Powertrain Warranty: Whichever comes first from the original date of first use when sold as new.
- 1-year of Roadside Assistance: From the date of Toyota Certified Used Vehicle purchase.
The comprehensive Roadside Assistance package covers:
- Flat tires
- Lockout service
- Jump starts
- Fuel delivery
- Reimbursement for towing to the nearest Toyota dealership
- Toll-free call for service, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
A Toyota Certified Used Vehicle Limited Powertrain Warranty protects major components such as the:
- Manual/automatic transmission
- Axle assembly
- Hybrid components
Your Toyota Certified Used Vehicles Dealer
Toyota Certified Used Vehicles are sold exclusively through participating Toyota Dealers. If you’re looking for a TCUV, contact Toyota of Seattle. Customer service is our top priority and we’re committed to making your vehicle purchase a painless and enjoyable experience. Visit us online to view our extensive inventory of new and certified used Toyotas or stop by the dealership today for a test drive!